About The PARC
The College of Professional Studies & Fine Arts (PSFA) Academic Resource Center (or PARC) opened on October 11, 2021 as a study and recharge space with one professional learning coach. Its grand opening was the realization of seven years of visioning and planning by PSFA Assistant Dean Lanie Lockwood and others.
In Spring 2022, the PARC offered peer tutoring and peer learning coaching for the first time and launched its virtual learning center on Discord. In Fall 2022, the PARC added embedded tutoring, in which tutors partner with faculty members to provide in-class support and lead tutoring sessions outside of class for students in specific course sections.
About Rebecca Tedesco:
Rebecca Tedesco’s superpower is that she can make anyone believe in themselves.
Rebecca (she/her) is a:
- Level 3 Master Tutor - College Reading & Learning Association (CRLA)
- Certified Learning Center Professional Level 3 - National College Learning Center Association (NCLCA)
Rebecca has been a learning coach and writing tutor for 15 years. In addition to leading the PARC team, Rebecca teaches writing and university seminar courses at San Diego State.
She was tutor coordinator in Peer Connections at San José State University from 2017-2019, where she received a 2018 CRLA Professional Development Award to continue developing the university's Tutor Supervisor Council.
Her passion, second only to her love of tutoring and academic support, is experiential learning. She completed a certificate in experiential education from Yeshiva University.
Rebecca also earned a Bachelor of Arts in sociology from Brandeis University, a Master of Arts in English literature from UMass Boston, and a Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study (a professional degree for educators who already have a Master’s) in developmental education from Boston University.
When she is not working, she is usually hanging out with her wife and their little menagerie of pets, at the beach, or watching baseball.
- During the 2021-22 academic year, the PARC was open for 123 days. In that time, students checked into the space 735 times.
- In Fall 2021, 109 unique students checked into the PARC. In spring, 206 unique students checked into the PARC.
- In Spring 2022, our first semester offering peer tutoring and learning coaching, students made approximately 30 appointments.
For more information, read our Fall 2021 Semester Report.