International Studies Minor
About the Program
It is open to any major in the University, and is particularly valuable for any student seeking a career involving global awareness. The minor seeks not only to provide an international experience for students but to deepen the meaning of students’ experience by providing a process and context for critical awareness/ comparison, self reflection, as well as the specific professional skills they will utilize in their future careers.
The minor consists of 18 units, twelve of which are required:
- PSFA 350 International Studies (3) - Awareness of international surroundings and creation of global citizens in PSFA disciplines. Basic concepts of culture and self-awareness, dimensions of culture, theoretical perspectives, behavioral patterns, and applications in PSFA disciplines.
- PSFA 501 Study Abroad I (3) - Intensive study and practical applications of PSFA-related intercultural issues in a selected international setting. Areas of study within PSFA disciplines.
- PSFA 502 Study Abroad II (3) - Intensive study of global PSFA-related professional career issues in a selected international setting. Focus on careers in disciplines within the College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts.
- PSFA 550 International Studies Capstone (3) - Problem-based approach through which PSFA students describe, analyze, compare and contrast the ways that the visited culture/society/ nation addresses a problem or issue relative to PSFA-related approaches taken in the US.
ELECTIVES - Take 6 units from among the following courses that have been identified as addressing international concerns:
- ART 357 World Art in Contemporary Life (3) -
- CJ 570 Organized Crime: Domestic and International Perspectives (3) -
- COMM 371 Intercultural Communication (3) -
- DANCE 382 Dance in World Cultures (3) -
- JMS 450 Using Media to Understand Cultures (3) -
- MUSIC 345 World Music in Contemporary Life (3) -
- PA 580 Comparative Public Administration (3) -
- RTM 404 Cross-Cultural Perspectives of Tourism (3) -
- TFM 363 International Cinema (3) -
For more information, please contact:
Fall 2018 Office Hours:
Tuesday, 12:30 - 4:00
Wednesday, 10:00 - 12:00
Thursday, 12:30 - 2:00
or by appointment